This one has been long overdue! I am excited for another round of "Ask Me Monday" where I answer any of your questions and design dilemmas all here! Enjoy!!!
1. What's your favorite room in your house and why? I honestly love them all :) but my most favorite has to be our kitchen! It truly is my dream kitchen with tall, white inset cabinets, white marble counters and my dream appliances. I love our big island where the kids can sit and eat breakfast, do homework or watch me cook. It truly is the gathering space in our home and I love that it is a large open space that includes our family room and breakfast nook.
2. I need something for above my living room sofa. And good sites for art that are reasonable? The first place I would look is on Etsy. You can literally find anything on there. I love that there are more custom pieces and there are lots that you can even print from home or at a local photo center. They usually come in a variety of sizes as well. I found a few of the prints in our TV room from there. Another great place is Minted. They have tons of designs from artists that also come in a variety of sizes. They will send them right to your all printed and you can even choose custom frames. Lastly, I always check my local Home Goods. They have so many pieces to choose from and they inventory is always changing.
3. What's your favorite white color? My go to is definitely Alabaster by Sherwin Williams. It is a softer white and has no sneaky undertones. This is the white paint I used throughout our whole house...ceilings, trim and walls. It does not disappoint!
4. Would you ever move to Tennessee? My whole family lives there and it would be a dream to move closer. Over time, I have to come accept that it just isn't in the cards right now due to my husband's job. Maybe one day but for now we LOVE spending two months here every summer. We love to say we "summer in TN"!
5. Can you tell me where you found your farmhouse sink? Is it one big sink? Any regrets or would you change your choice? Our farmhouse sink in our kitchen actually was recommended by our kitchen designer. I HAD to have a farmhouse sink in our kitchen, it was a MUST! He recommended the Kohler Whitehaven farmhouse sink. I love that it is one large sink. I can easily wash bigger pans and pots. After using a double sink and then having the one big sink, I would never go back. The sink also has the drain in the corner which I love and it dips so the water goes down very easily. We have had no issues whatsoever with it and it is worth every penny. It is cast iron as well so very tough and resistant to any dings.
6. To go off someone else's question about your farmhouse sink. Is it hard to keep clean? I want a white farmhouse sink but I'm worried about getting it stained. It will get dinged with stainless steel pots and pans and I would use the Kolher Cast Iron sink cleaner to remove any scratches. I finally broke down and bought grates that were made for my sink. They are metal and I place them in the bottom of the sink. No scratches, I can put a hot pan on them...they are great and worth the small investment.
7. After seeing my Aunt's finished project of an antique buffet transformed with white chalk paint (with some distressed antique effect) it has me thinking...how do you decide on what furniture would look best with paint vs. leaving it natural? Some pieces of furniture I just can't bare the thought of covering in paint and then some I look at and.... This is a tough one as some are pro paint anything and others hate painting over an antique piece! I say paint it! Unless of course it's your great great grandmother's antique chair! I have painted many treasures in our home that were passed down to me....always ask first but honestly painting or refinishing them gives them new life. I do love some pieces natural as well. It really depends on the style of the space and what decor style you are going for. You can always leave it natural and then if you don't like it, paint it or stain it!
8. When is your actual birthday? I know you are a Leo but I forget the date! I am turing the BIG 4-0 next week! My birthday is August 20th!
9. What's your favorite paint colors? As you can probably tell, my favorites are gray and white! I painted our main living spaces, all trim, ceilings and doors in Sherwin Williams Alabaster. All our bedrooms are painted in Sherwin Williams Repose Gray and all our bathrooms are Benjamin Moore Paper White.
10. What are your thoughts on quartzite for countertops? I don't have much experience with quartzite but I do know it is more durable than my marble countertops. You can also pick out a piece that closely resembles marble if you want the marble look without the high maintenance. I do think you have to seal it though, just like most countertops so definitely check with your supplier for all the care tips.
This is honestly always fun! I really hope to do them more often!
If you have a question you want answered you can always comment on this post or send me an email to