I can't believe all the holiday festivities are over and it's a whole new year! Warm up to this delish soup using some of your leftover ham from the holidays. If you don't have any on hand, you can easily buy some ham steak and a hock from your local grocery store. Just ask the guys in the meat department! Serve with some warm, crusty bread and enjoy!
LEFTOVER HAM SOUP
1/4 cup oil or butter
2 cups diced ham steak
1 medium chopped onion
1 chopped red pepper
1 chopped green pepper
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bag of frozen corn kernels
1 10 ounce ham hock
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
6-8 cups water
1. Melt oil or butter in large stockpot. Add ham steak, onion, peppers & garlic and saute for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in corn kernels & saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add in potato and ham hock, then water and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to a low simmer and partially cover with a lid.
5. Simmer for 1 hour.
6. Remove ham hock and season with salt and pepper to taste; enjoy!